By: Jim Duncan
September 30, 2019
I had the opportunity to tour Dairy Central Market this morning, and it’s going to be a fantastic addition to Charlottesville. Elevated, blending old and new, bringing a new concept to Charlottesville, it’s enough to make me fleetingly consider moving back to Charlottesville from Crozet. (the bike riding is far too good in Crozet, though).
One of my greatest takeaways is how thoughtful and deliberate the Stony Point team have been, from restoring bricks and windows, to consider the flow of humans, curated vendors, event space programming. (follow them on Instagram)
My notes from the tour:
- April opening for Starr Hill. Mid summer grand opening for the entire project, once they have most of the businesses and stalls open
- Starr Hill on left of the building
- On site brewing
- Bike racks, charging stations, space for Ubers, Grub Hub, etc.
- They are expecting 800k people to come through Dairy Central in the first year
- Bar in the middle
- 10 other beers onsite
- They also own the church and house next door
- Offices on second and third level
- 70% filled already
- Bringing in a new company that will be bringing 70 jobs
- 29 October – groundbreaking for the apartments, 10th and Dairy
- 180 units
- 15 are affordable; 6 were required
- Dog washing station. Gym. Pool. Nice.