DAIRY MARKET TO OPEN DECEMBER 15 WITH A SELECTION OF CHARLOTTESVILLE’S LEADING PURVEYORS
~ Virginia’s New Market Hall Serves Up the Best of Charlottesville’s Diverse Flavors in Iconic Community Landmark ~
Charlottesville, VA (December 14, 2020) – Stony Point Development Group is thrilled to announce the long-anticipated debut of Dairy Market, the South’s newest market hall and the first in Virginia’s Central Piedmont region, which will launch in its soft opening phase on Tuesday, December 15. Located in the historic Monticello Dairy building in downtown Charlottesville and just steps away from the University of Virginia, Dairy Market will revive a local community treasure and hometown favorite by bringing together a diverse variety of food and beverage, agriculture, Southern culture, history and arts, all under one roof. Opening with reduced capacity and extensive hygiene and cleanliness protocols in place, Charlottesville locals and visitors will be able to safely experience the destination’s unique array of flavors and artistic inspiration from a selection of Virginia’s leading purveyors, culinary talents and artisans.
Following health protocols issued by the Center for Disease Control (CDC) and the State of Virginia, Dairy Market will open with 50% capacity. Seating has been reconfigured and spread out with two of the market hall’s retail spaces repurposed to include additional seating, six feet separation between tables and limited party sizes. Public buffets and common beverage service stations will be eliminated and there will be floor spacing signs between customers while in line. High-contact areas and touch points around the hall and within each merchant’s individual stall will be frequently cleaned and disinfected, and tables, chairs and trays will be cleaned and sanitized after every use. Merchants are required to provide appropriate barriers between teams and customers and use no-touch menus, contactless payment systems, automated ordering and mobile ordering apps and texts to reduce the need for close customer contact. Face coverings are required for all guests and staff while inside the building and employees will be monitored for any symptoms between each work shift. To limit large groups, Dairy Market will not be hosting any type of opening event or preview.
Dairy Market’s roots trace back to 1912 with the formation of the Monticello Ice Cream Company, which was later renamed Monticello Dairy, Inc., known for its production of ice cream, milk, butter and cheese. The company opened its first brick-and-mortar location, the Monticello Dairy building in 1936, which quickly became an iconic community gathering place known for its ice cream parlor and event room. Designed by Cunningham | Quill Architects, Dairy Market is an adaptive reuse of this Charlottesville landmark, celebrating the Virginia culinary community by providing local chefs, breweries and retailers a new home to showcase their craft. Building on the brand’s treasured place in Charlottesville, Dairy Market will use its diverse merchants, unique event space and centralized location to bring the local community together.
“We are so excited and grateful to open Dairy Market’s doors to our incredible community and showcase our amazing merchants who will be serving up their diverse, hand crafted, locally sourced cuisine,” said Stony Point President, Chris Henry. “It was important for us to pay homage to the original Monticello Dairy building which we know has a special place in the hearts of the Charlottesville community, and create a space where everyone feels welcome. Our guests and employees’ safety and wellbeing are of utmost importance to us and we are opening with enhanced health protocols including strict social distancing measures for our patrons to safely enjoy the best of Charlottesville’s food and beverage, all under one roof.”
Featuring a variety of different global cuisines with flavors and inspiration from around the world, Dairy Market’s merchants will showcase the best of what Charlottesville’s expansive culinary scene has to offer. Several merchants will be ready to welcome guests when Dairy Market opens its doors on December 15, followed by staggered openings of the remaining merchants throughout the first quarter of 2021. With 16 confirmed merchants, the market is almost at full capacity. A snapshot of the confirmed merchants are included below with additional merchants to be announced soon.
- Angelic’s Kitchen and Catering: The first physical location and extension of owner Angelic Jenkin’s popular food truck serves up Southern soul food including signature specialties such as fried fish dipped in Angelic’s legendary Southern style breading.
- Bee Conscious Baking Company: Run by husband and wife team Patrick and Alexis Strasser, this sustainable community bakery serves up delicious baked goods made with fresh ingredients coming straight from the Strassers’ local farm, Bee Conscious Farm.
- CHIMM St.: Inspired by the busy street markets in Thailand, CHIMM St. will feature a menu which integrates the regional foods and flavors of Southeast Asian cuisine with the communal aspect of eating that is so popular in Thailand’s food culture.
- Dino’s Wood-Fired Pizza & Rotisserie Chicken: Run by chef and owner Dino Hoxhaj, Dino’s will offer a selection of wood-fired artisan pizzas and rotisserie chicken with flavors from around the world, along with a wide variety of gluten-free and vegan options, in addition to an assortment of hand-selected wines and beers.
- Eleva Coffee: Patrons who want their caffeine fix will enjoy the Brooklyn-based Eleva Coffee, which is committed to bringing together coffee farmers and coffee drinkers by providing the most delicious, sustainable coffee direct from carefully selected farmers in Nicaragua, Guatemala, and Ethiopia at the best price possible.
- Manila Street: Originally started as a food truck by Filipino Chef Fernando Dizon and his wife Jesse, Manila Street will sell delicious homemade Flipino fare including the chef’s signature lumpia (Filipino spring rolls) as well as recipes that have been handed down in his family for generations.
- Moo Thru: The beloved Virginia family-owned-and-operated creamery and ice cream store, known for its real ice cream made by real dairy farmers, will serve handcrafted, slow churned ice cream, shakes, pasteurized milk and more.
- Springhouse Sundries: As part of Dairy Market’s retail corner, Springhouse Sundries, run by Certified Sommelier Priscilla Martin Curley and wine industry veteran Matt Hauck, will sell a curated selection of wine and beer, along with local and specialized food items, that are affordable and accessible to the everyday consumer.
- Starr Hill Brewery: Originally established in Charlottesville, Starr Hill is an independent, regional craft brewery founded out of a passion for great beer and live music. They will open their new pilot brewery and taproom as the cornerstone of Dairy Market, serving up a variety of unique craft brews.
- Take it Away Sandwich Shop: A local favorite for the students and alumni of the University of Virginia and for the past 27 years, Take it Away will continue to serve their original sandwiches and famous House Dressing to the Charlottesville community at Dairy market.
- The Milkman’s Bar: Led by talented mixologists River Hawkins and Mike Stewart, The Milkman’s Bar will serve creative recreations of classic cocktails with whimsical, awe-inspiring presentations in a welcoming space that pays homage to classic 1950’s and 60’s Americana drugstore soda fountains.
In addition to its diverse roster of vendors, Dairy Market will also 11,500 square feet of retail space and flexible ground level meeting space for special events, which will open in 2021.
John Pritzlaff and Jenny Stoner of Cushman & Wakefield | Thalhimer handled the lease negotiations on behalf of Dairy Market.
About Dairy Market
Dairy Market is a brand-new market hall in Charlottesville, VA and the first in Virginia’s Central Piedmont region, slated to open in at the end of 2020. Dairy Market, located in the historic Monticello Dairy building in downtown Charlottesville and just steps away from the University of Virginia, is reviving a local community treasure and hometown favorite by bringing together a diverse variety of food and beverage, agriculture, Southern culture, history and arts, all under one roof. Dairy Market will feature a carefully curated selection of Virginia’s leading purveyors, culinary talents and artisans, who will showcase the unique array of flavors and artistic inspiration that sets Charlottesville apart, as well as 11,500 square feet of retail space and flexible ground level meeting space for special events, which will debut in 2021. For more information on Dairy Market, visit www.dairymarketcville.com or follow them on Instagram and Facebook.
About Stony Point Development Group
Stony Point Development Group is an award-winning real estate development firm headquartered in Charlottesville, VA. Stony Point’s mission is creating great places and enhancing lives through the built environment. The company is uniquely focused on community building in high quality, walkable locations with connections to natural amenities. It acquires, builds and operates mixed asset development projects primarily focused on housing, office, and experiential retail.
For more information about Dairy Market visit, https://dairymarketcville.com/.
For more information about opening a stall or retail space at Dairy Market, visit https://www.thalhimer.com/properties/dairy-central or contact John Pritzlaff at 434-249-6101.
About Retro Hospitality
Retro Hospitality, a boutique hospitality firm based in Richmond, Virginia, serves as the management firm for the Dairy Market. Specializing in independent hotels and creative food and beverage concepts, Retro provides owners and developers with a wide range of consulting and management services. Retro’s team is a collection of diverse and highly experienced hospitality industry experts – each focused on achieving operational success and creating authentic guest experiences.
About Cushman & Wakefield | Thalhimer
Thalhimer was founded in 1913 and currently has offices in Richmond, Newport News, Virginia Beach, Fredericksburg, Roanoke, Charlottesville, and Lynchburg, VA; and Charleston, Columbia, and Greenville, SC. The company has over 100 broker professionals and employs over 425 associates. Thalhimer represents, on behalf of its clients, a property portfolio of over 57 million leasable square feet, and management of over 31 million square feet of commercial property, and over 9,125 multifamily units. In 2019, Thalhimer completed over 2,000 transactions with a transactional volume more than $1.5 billion. Thalhimer is the region’s leading provider of comprehensive commercial real estate services. The firm offers comprehensive commercial real estate services including corporate services, investment sales, tenant representation, project management, asset management, and the sale and leasing of office, industrial and retail properties. To learn more, visit www.thalhimer.com.
Independently Owned and Operated / A Member of the Cushman & Wakefield Alliance
Eleven Six PR